Depending on the situation, resolving a car accident settlement can sometimes take months or even years to resolve. Sometimes the severity of the accident will require a longer settlement period, but in other cases, you may be inclined to wrap things up as soon as possible. If you’ve been in an auto accident in Mobile, Alabama, a car accident attorney will be able to help you weigh the pros and cons of settling quickly. Your car accident attorney will also be able to guide you through the settlement processes and provide all the information that you’ll need to make a decision about when to settle and how to get the maximum compensation that you deserve.
Advantages of Settling an Auto Accident Quickly
When it comes to resolving an auto accident, there are also many benefits to finding ways to settle as quickly as possible. Depending on the situation, your Mobile, Alabama attorney will be able to advise you on the best course of action to take, since there are sometimes cases that will take longer out of necessity. However, if your attorney thinks that a quick settlement is the best option for your case, these are some of the main advantages to settling quickly:
- Putting the Case Behind You: if you decide to settle for the compensation being offered, you will be able to put the issue behind you and get back to your normal life as soon as possible. Instead of waiting weeks, months, or years to fight a case in court, when you settle an auto accident outside of legal proceedings, you will be able to use the money to pay off damages and medical bills immediately
- Avoid Court Battles: Court proceedings can be a financial and logistical nightmare, and you can avoid these headaches if you accept a car accident settlement quickly. Going to court can mean sinking hours of your time into legal proceedings and spending exorbitant fees on lawyers. Even worse, you run the risk of going home with nothing if the outcome is not in your favor.
Disadvantages to Accepting a Quick Auto Accident Settlement
One of the main disadvantages to having a quick settlement as a result of an auto accident is that you will be unable to go to court after the settlement is accepted. There are a couple of situations when you might want to bring a case to court:
- Dispute between parties as to who is guilty of producing the accident
- Insurance companies failing to respond to a letter demanding settlement
Although court proceedings can be lengthy affairs, there are cases when it may work out in your favor if your lawyer decides to take your auto accident case before a judge. However, if you agree to settle before considering this option, you will likely be unable to sue for more money at a later date. Ultimately, your Mobile, AL car accident attorney should be able to help you decide which is the best course of action to take.
Reasons for a Long Car Accident Settlement Case
Sometimes there are cases where settlement processes will take longer, just by virtue of the situation. Situations in which you should prepare for lengthy settlements include:
- If the recovery period for your injuries is long
- When there are legal issues in your case that are left unresolved, such as determining fault in the accident or proving negligence
If the details of your auto accident involve any of the above, you will likely be looking at a longer settlement process. However, waiting this out can get you the car accident settlement that you deserve.
If the auto accident was serious enough, there might be a substantial amount of money at stake. If this is the case, a lengthy process may be carried out between the insurance company and your attorneys to ensure you are fairly compensated.
Before taking a settlement, you will want to be sure you’re aware of the total costs of injury damages. There may be symptoms that pop up in the future or medical expenses that you may not know about. A lawyer familiar with your type of auto accident can help to ensure all of these things are considered before the settlement is accepted.
Contact an Auto Accident Attorney in Alabama to Discuss Your Settlement
Ultimately, if you have been injured in an auto accident in Mobile, a Charles McCorquodale Law Firm car accident attorney can help you make sense of the situation. It can be difficult to decide when to take a car accident settlement and when to bring the matter to court. Here, a car accident attorney will be on your side when making these difficult decisions. Contact Charles McCorquodale Law today.