If you are calling for an uber to take you home, it is likely that you just had a good night out with friends after an event or restaurant, and want a safe ride home. The Uber service is a fairly new traveling option that many members of the public take advantage of on a daily basis. An uber ride is often the resource for those who choose to not drive while under the influence, or simply want a quick lift from one location to another. Unfortunately, despite making the right decision to find a safe way home, it is still possible to be involved in an accident during your ride.
A common reason for an uber accident can be that the driver became distracted during your transport. Here we have provided information in a question and answer format about an Uber driver’s distracted driving, and how to handle things if your lift turns sour.
How may my Uber driver become distracted?
In many cases involving car accidents, the driver becomes distracted by their cell phone. Your Uber driver is no different than any other driver, except that they have the added responsibility of providing a business service to their passengers. Your Uber driver can still become distracted by his or her cell phone. Your Uber driver can listen to directions in order to get you where you need to go, but texting or talking while on the cell phone is a big no-no.
What should I do if during the lift my driver hits another car?
You should handle things the same way as if you were riding in a car with anybody else. You can take the following steps in order to handle the situation safely, and smartly:
- Call the police, so law enforcement can take a written statement of how the accident happened.
- Get the Uber driver’s information. This includes name, phone number, address, insurance company, driver’s license number, vehicle type and license plate number.
- Request medical attention if you do not feel quite right. It is better to get a medical exam at the scene of the accident, than find out later your injuries were way worse than expected.
- Call your insurance company and let them know you were involved in a Uber accident.
- Consider consulting with an attorney if your injuries surpass what the standard first aid kit can offer.
What kind of injuries should I be watching out for?
Those who have been in a car accident may suffer from a variety of injuries. Some people can walk away with only minor scrapes or bruises, while others require emergency attention. Listen to your body and if something feels off, get checked out right away. The range of injuries can include, but are not limited to the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Skin lacerations or road rash (if there was flying debri or you were ejected from the vehicle during impact)
- Crushed extremities
- Broken bones
- Fractured skull
- Back, neck & shoulder injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Emotional trauma
- Internal bleeding
If you experience an accident, don’t hesitate to contact an Uber accident attorney Washington, D.C., residents trust.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Cohen & Cohen, P.C., for their insight into Uber accident laws.